Selling Your Home In The Spring
The school year is getting ready to end; children will soon be on summer break; and the winter weather is almost over…. Spring is the perfect time to list your house and start thinking about your next home! But first, it is important to get your property in shape to get it to sell quickly for top dollar!
What Are Some Tips For Selling Your Home In The Spring?
Real Estate Spring Cleaning Tips For Inside Your Home:
- Make sure all floors and surfaces are clean - mopped, vacuumed, etc.
- Have your carpets and rugs shampooed, especially if you have small children or pets!
- Declutter your home. Pre-pack as much as you can. A rule of thumb is to pre-pack 50% of your belongings. This includes everything in the basement, attic, and garage. While this is a great time to throw out or donate old belongings, you can also invest in a small storage unit to store those belongings that you want to bring to your new home, but do not want cluttering up your listing.
- Weed out your winter gear from your closets. This will help your storage spaces seem bigger and much less crowded!
Real Estate Spring Cleaning Tips For Outside Your Home:
- Have your windows and siding power washed. Also wash the inside of the windows to really make them sparkle!
- Sweep off your front porch or stoop.
- Replace your holiday decor items with spring-themed decor.
- Consider “springing” (sorry, we had to!) for a new welcome mat at each of your doors. You won’t regret it once you list your home have people coming in and out all day!
- If you have outdoor living areas, make sure that the furniture is clean, the pads are clean and dry and not weathered.
- Powerwash the sidewalks, patios, or decks on your property.
- Mow your lawn really well and make sure to edge the yard and trim back bushes.
Spring Home Staging Secrets:
- Consider putting away your heavier winter throws and blankets and displaying your lighter, brighter throws and pillows instead.
- Try to replace some of your towels or pillows on display with lighter, spring colors like yellow, lavender, sage green, or pale blue.
- If your landscaping is still bare from the winter, try putting a few bright, potted plants around your yard to brighten it up.
- Open your curtains and blinds to let the spring sunshine into your home. Polish your mirrors to help make the rooms sparkle.
- If a room has not been painted in a few years or the walls are dingy, repaint them.
- Spring for fresh flowers. They not only add spring colors into your home, but also help with that spring-fresh smell!
- Use brighter light bulbs to add even more light into your space.
- Take a critical look at your entryway. This is where your home’s first impression will land. How does that room make you feel?
Other Useful Tips From The Real Estate Pros For Selling Your Home In The Spring:
- Make sure you complete pre-inspection repairs. No one knows your property better than you do. If you know a home inspector is going to find something broken or not working, fix it ahead of time.
- Listen to your realtor on the listing price. Chances are, she/he knows the area, knows the comparable houses listed, and knows what your home will most likely get in the market.
If you and your family are getting ready to start house-hunting for a new home or are preparing to sell your home, contact the Fairfield Team and we can help you get started or answer any questions about the process!