Top Tips For First-Time Homebuyers Choosing Their Perfect Realtor
For first-time homebuyers, there’s a lot of prep work that goes into house hunting, knowing what you can afford, working with a reputable mortgage professional, and finding properties to look at. The right realtor can help you along the way by knowing your list of wants/needs, what areas of the city you’re looking at, what your price range is, and other little things you may have forgotten to mention, but their expertise helps them pick up on.
But how do you find your perfect realtor?
Here’s a quick checklist:
- The perfect realtor will listen to your “wish list” and “needs list” and what your family is looking for. These lists will be weighed against what’s on the market and what s/he knows is coming on the market soon.
- The perfect realtor will make sure you know what you’re looking for by asking the right questions.
- The perfect realtor will help you find the right bank / mortgage professional, if you don’t already have one.
- The perfect realtor will help you find the right home within your perfect budget. And they’ll be up front with you if you need to readjust your expectations in any direction.
- The perfect realtor will educate you on market conditions, the neighborhood(s) you’re interested in, and any other factors for your geographic area.
- The perfect realtor will help point out any issues with each of the properties you’re interested in.
- The perfect realtor will also help you keep in mind resale value of any properties you’re interested in making an offer on.
- The perfect realtor will walk you through each step of the home buying process.
- The perfect realtor will help you choose the perfect property according to your needs.
- The perfect realtor will help you buy the property you LOVE.
- The perfect realtor will have a list of past references. Look for the references who were shopping in your same price range or were also first-time homebuyers.
- The perfect realtor will want to meet you face-to-face to talk about what you’re looking for.
- The perfect realtor will be trustworthy.
- The perfect realtor will return your calls and emails when you have questions.
- The perfect realtor will share in your enthusiasm for all of the little celebrations that come with buying your first home!
- The perfect realtor will be a patient hand holder.
- The perfect realtor will be up-to-date regarding first-time homebuyer programs. Many states offer programs for first-time homebuyers that help with down payments, offer tax incentives, and more.
- The perfect realtor will be able to put themselves in your shoes.
- The perfect realtor will think of you, the first-time homebuyer, as a lifelong customer - and be thinking of the referrals you’ll be bringing them!
- The perfect realtor will think proactively on how they can protect you, their client.
When you’re looking for your perfect realtor, it’s great to ask some basic questions to get more comfortable with the prospects:
- How long have you been a full-time realtor?
- What makes you the best choice for us?
- Which lenders do you work with and why?
- Which first-time homebuyer programs have you helped your clients recently access?
- Have you ever had a complaint filed against you with the state real estate commission?
- How many transactions do you average per year?
- What markets / neighborhoods do you focus on / in?
- What is the median price in the markets / neighborhoods I want to search?
- What else would you like me to know before we start working with you?
Want more information about finding the perfect realtor for you? Check out our other blog post: Finding The Realtor For You
Ready to start looking for your first home? Contact The Fairfield Team and we can help you with your search!